Press conference on 15 November 2022
12.30-13.15 hrs CET at the Geneva Press Club
LESSONS OF THE PANDEMIC
An urgent need to reshape health financing
Geneva Global Health Hub (G2H2) invites you to join the launch of our report “Financial Justice for Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response” on 15 November in Geneva. The report highlights the shortcomings of the international community in redirecting finance to support public health, including the robust funding of pandemic prevention, preparedness and response.
While colossal wealth is potentially available to invest on global public health and managing any future pandemics, it is in the wrong hands. The pandemic emergency, with its associated socioeconomic and environmental crises, has revealed that the world is at a critical moment and that business as usual cannot be the way forward. The crisis has “opened a window for a radical redirection” (WHO Council on the Economics of Health for All) which may not be missed: The report by G2H2 proposes to rethink health through an economic and financial justice lens.
- Nicoletta Dentico will introduce and present the G2H2 report. Nicoletta Dentico is co-chair of the Geneva Global Health Hub (G2H2) and leads the global health justice program at Society for International Development (SID). She has previously coordinated policy and advocacy at Drugs for Neglected Diseases Initiative (DNDi), Geneva, and was head of Médecines Sans Frontières (MSF), Italy.
- Isabel Ortiz will provide additional reflections on fair health financing. Isabel Ortiz is Director of the Global Social Justice Program at Joseph Stiglitz’s Initiative for Policy Dialogue, based at Columbia University, New York. Previously, she was the Director of the Social Protection Department at the ILO, Geneva. She has also worked with UNICEF and ADB (Full bio here).
- Press conference announcement on the Geneva Press Club website: here
- G2H2 media release and documentation: here
Contacts at G2H2
- Media enquiries:
Neha Gupta, G2H2 Press officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- General enquiries:
Thomas Schwarz, G2H2 Secretariat, email@example.com
Public launch of the report
- The public launch of the G2H2 report “Financial Justice for Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response” will take place on the same day as the press conference at the Geneva Press Club, as a hybrid meeting. Journalists attending the press conference are welcome to stay for the public event (sandwiches available) or to register here for the Zoom webinar of the public event (new session with different registration). Website: https://g2h2.org/posts/15november2022, Languages: English, French and Spanish