“Promoting human rights in HIV response: Regional and subregional strategies and best practices
12-13 February 2019, Room XII, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
This consultation will discuss all relevant issues and challenges pertaining to respect for and the protection and fulfilment of human rights in the context of the response to HIV, with a focus on regional and subregional strategies and best practices.
The consultation will explore the current setting in the HIV response towards ending AIDS by 2030, exploring particularly human rights in the HIV response, challenges and opportunities. Following the mandate of resolution 38/8 from the Human Rights Council, the consultation will also discuss how to improve human rights in HIV response through regional and subregional strategies. In order to ensure human rights to and through health are upheld in the HIV response, the consultation will also consider regional accountability mechanisms.
Finally, the consultation will also address how to best deliver on leaving no one behind, particularly in addressing stigma, discrimination, violence and abuse. Following the consultation, OHCHR will prepare a report on its outcome, identifying regional and subregional strategies and best practices to promote human rights in the HIV response.
Documents of the meeting
- Mr. Omar Syarif, GNP+
- Ms. Kate Gilmore, United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Mr. Michel Sidibé, Executive Director, UNAIDS
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, WHO (TBC)
- Dr. Dainius Pūras, Special Rapporteur on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health
- Mr. Victor Madrigal-Borloz, Independent Expert on sexual orientation and gender identity
- Ms. Ivana Radacic, UN Working Group on Discrimination Against Women (TBC)
- Mr. Patricio Pazmiño Freire, Judge of the Interamerican Court of Human Rights
- Ms. Lucy Asuagbor, Commissioner of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and member of the Committee for the protection of the rights of persons living with HIV
- Mr. Omar Syarif, GNP+
- Dr. Stefan Baral Associate Professor John Hopkins University
- Ms. Annah Sango-Page, Zimbabwe Young Positives
- Ms. Ruth Dreifuss, former President of the Confederation, Switzerland (TBC)
- Mr. Adeolu Ogunrombi, Project Coordinator of YouthRISE Nigeria and West African Countries
- Mrs Madeleine Nirere, Chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Rwanda (TBC)
- Mr. Bikas Gurung, ANPUD
- Ms. Boemo Mmandu Sekgoma, Secretary General (ai), SADC parliamentary Forum
- Mr. Olusegun Odumosu, AMSHeR
- Ms. Eszter Kismodi, Reproductive Health Matters
- Ms. Marcela Romero, Regional Coordinator, REDLACTRANS
- Mr. Ralf Jurgens, Senior Coordinator for Human Rights, Global Fund
Participants who do not hold badges to the United Nations Office in Geneva should register athttps://reg.unog.ch/event/27495/
For other questions, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org”
Source: OHCHR, thank to David Ruiz for flagging!